Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2021

Joseph Chiwatenhwa’s Prayer

 

Joseph Chiwatenhwa’s Recorded Prayer

praying hands

O God, at last I start to understand you. You made the earth, which we live in.

 

You made the sky, which we see above us. You made us, we who are called people.

 

Now you let me start to know who you really are. I know how to make a canoe, and how to enjoy it.

 

I know how to build a cabin and how to live in it. But you… you made us, and you live in us.

 

The things we make last for a few seasons. We only use the canoes we create for a short time.

 

We only live in the houses we build for a few years.

 

But your love for us will endure so long that we cannot count the time. You will comfort us forever.

 

As long as we live, how can anyone not acknowledge you? You are the one who protects us.

 

The time we feel your presence the most is when we face death.

 

You are the one with the power to keep our souls alive,

 

because only you know how to love us in the deepest part of ourselves.

 

Not even a mother or father can love a human being the way you do.

 

Your love for us is so strong that it makes evil spirits lose their power.

 

Now I begin to see that the reason you made us is because you want to share your love.

 

Nothing attracts you as much as your people. Thank you for letting me understand you.

 

You love us so deeply that all I can do in return is offer myself to you. I claim you as my elder and chief.

 

There is no one else. Ask me for anything you want. Just let me always hold you in my heart.

 

I always want to feel you watching and protecting me. I offer you my family.

 

If any evil strikes them when I am away, I know you will take care of them.

 

Your love is more than I can ever give them. Thank you … from my heart.

 

I see the loving way you lead us along the path of life. You want what is best for us.

 

If we have poverty, let us feel your love in it. If we get rich, do not let comfort make us forget that we need you.

 

Never let us turn into selfish people. Never let us think we are better than others who have less.

 

You love us equally, rich and poor. We are people, your people, and you love us as we are.

 

It fills me with joy to know you. I can feel the presence of your love.

 

Thank you for letting me give you myself just as I am.

 

The more I thank you, the more I find I can give myself to you.

 

Help me let go of the things I used to place my faith in. All I ask is to be yours.

 

It would have been enough to give us the gifts of the earth. Thank you for them.

 

But you’ve given us much more. In you, we live forever. I can hardly imagine what heaven is like, but it is enough for me to know your love and to believe in you with all my heart.

 

You have promised to let us be free spirits in you, and because I know you love us,your promise gives me hope. Help us to welcome suffering if it means we will know our need of you more deeply.

 

In our suffering, help us give ourselves to you.

 

We don’t have to be afraid to die, because death is the new birth that lets us live fully in you.

 

Life is a journey, and with you as our companion and our destination, it will end with great joy.

 

Lord, I am not afraid of death anymore. I will rejoice when I know the time has come for me to die.

 

I do not even want to mourn the passing of my relatives.

 

All I need to remember is you are bringing them to be with you in paradise.

 

You want to take them away so they can have perfect happiness.

 

Amen